Saturday, March 19, 2011

Letter to the Editor at Newsday regarding Nassau County's Bus System

By Mary MacElveen

March 19, 2011


Below is a letter to the editor at Newsday. In the event that they choose not to publish my letter, I am posting it here for all to read.


Dear Editor,


Let me just say that I was livid when ‘CensorThisOne’ responded to “On Nassau County’s plan to turn bus service over to a private operator”: when he/she wrote: “Dump the buses altogether. Will never make money and we will have to bail them out.” which was published on March 18th.


I suppose that this person drives. I have frequently posted in numerous places for politicians to go without cars for a week in order to make meetings, go to the doctors, go shopping and any other place they need to go. I have suggested that they use buses instead. You know, putting yourself in another’s shoes? At this point, I would suggest to ‘CensorThisOne’ do the same.


As far as bailing out, I would rather have my tax money go to help save a bus system that serves thousands upon thousands of people each day; namely the disabled or those who cannot afford to operate and own a car. These working class people need to get to work and without reliable buses; they can soon find themselves out of a job. I know for a fact that taking cabs is far too expensive. Perhaps this person would love to see a human being on the side of the road with a sign “Need a ride to work” and then just drive by them.


By the way, I have suffered from epileptic seizures since the age of 15 and I am now 52. I have never driven and must rely on public transportation in order to get to work. I have lashed out at Suffolk County Executive, Steve Levy when it comes to the bus system in Suffolk County, NY that does not operate on Sundays. There have been numerous Sundays that I have worked and must take a cab where the fare is more than my hourly wage.


Sincerely,
Mary MacElveen