Monday, November 23, 2009

Marc Alessi along with Stop and Shop customers help feed the needy


Mary MacElveen
November 23, 2009

Last night, I wrote a column awarding NY State Assembly member, Marc Alessi my Founding Fathers award. In reporting to you of his efforts to help feed the poor and hungry here on Long Island through Island Harvest, I was unaware of how much was collected through the support of Stop and Shop customers.

In reading my emails this morning, I was contacted by Katrina Kieltyka who is Marc Alessi’s events coordinator. According to Ms. Kieltyka: “Yesterday's event was very successful; we collected about 450 lbs of food, including four turkeys, and an additional $230 dollars in gift cards.” Those gift cards can be used by our hungry neighbors to purchase food within our stores.
As our hungry neighbors sit down and feast upon these donations, they have this man to thank as well as the generosity of Stop and Shop customers.

In this follow-up column are pictures of Marc Alessi hard at work to feed the hungry. These pictures were taken by Katrina Kieltyka.
I would also like to remind my readers that Stop and Shop is hoping to raise $1 million dollars to feed the needy through our “Food for Friends” campaign. You can donate $1, $3 or $5 dollars at our registers.
Author’s email address is, xmjmac@optonline.net